26 (editado por Recap 27-02-2011 19:05:03)

Re: Hard Corps: Uprising

I think I read they put there a penalty for milking too much?

This is where my percentages come in. If he indeed places far less emphasis on aesthetics than you, then even if he ends up ranking its aesthetics lower than those of its predecessors this won't make that big of a difference on his final verdict.

Maybe. But I prefer to think that, in the long run, Josh will realize that the game's just not as memorable as most of its predecessors even if it's only due to a meager graphic work (I'd hardly believe this could even touch the polish of Super Contra or Spirits' mechanics either, but unlike Josh, I prefer that style to the one of Metal Slug, so). Anyway, the differentiation between the emphasis one places on aesthetics or mechanics is pretty chimeric and it should vary depending on the game. Most people tend to identify the joy they get from 'scene development' aspects with something related to mechanics. And that's my ultimate goal there -- explaining that aesthetics is indeed much more important for most than what they think or say they are (another different thing is that their taste and sensibilities are evolved enough), hence I could appear as much more hung up on aesthetics than on mechanics. But, while some of my reviews [ >  > ] definitely fit themselves into that 70% - 30% formula (and it also explains my eventual interest in old Japanese RPGs), that's not my general understanding of gaming at all, and some other reviews  [ > > > > ] would even confirm the opposite (30% for aesthetics - 70% for mechanics, if you will). And you know my thoughts on Chohmakaimura.

<Edit: I've just seen you mentioned the 'depending on the game' thing on your forum. So yeah.>

You call "an astonishing amount of special moves and possibilities" a novelty?

Not exactly, but for a Contra game and the way they seem to be implemented, I guess I'd do.

JoshF escribió:

I think they did a good job making the 3D backgrounds simulate 2D anime-style backgrounds.

What in the world does "2D anime-style backgrounds" mean?

"Polished" is a weird way to describe Super Contra's laggy aiming.  The FC version is great though (lol.)  Spririts is great but a bit too easy.  Uprising would be an arcade game, if not for the aforementioned Donkey Kong Country shenanigans.

What I mean by "2D anime-style backgrounds" is that the textures have a painted quality.

I'm thinking of re-writing most of my old reviews and Metal Slug will probably be the first.  I'd like to make it around 20-30 paragraphs and talk about every aspect of it as in-depth as possible, including the visuals which I stupidly ignored in the original.  I also left out much of the mechanical detail that make it (along with some of it's sequels) one of the best action shooters ever made.  I think I also included a dig at the later sequels which was also stupid, since they look and play better than any action shooter not called Metal Slug 1-3.

JoshF escribió:

"Polished" is a weird way to describe Super Contra's laggy aiming.

More than "laggy", it tries to simulate an analog behaviour, much like its predecessor. There are ways to overcome that and the game's designed around it -- something you can't say about Metal Slug's slowdowns (...).

What I mean by "2D anime-style backgrounds" is that the textures have a painted quality.

I guess some have, but when the on-screen polygon rate is almost PS One-level (as far as I've seen), it's hard to fool your eyes enough. What'd you say about stuff like this then:

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/img/gmw/docs/317/465/bbcs02.jpg

...?

Looking forward to your updates!

29 (editado por JoshF 28-02-2011 03:20:18)

Yeah that's better but I don't think you can compare a side-view action game to a versus fighting game where the environments are not interactive and only take up 2 screens at most.  I think the reason we're getting a lot of fighting games is, sorry to say, because they're easier to make.  They don't want to put in the time for things like scene development and stage designs.  I'm glad Arc Systems actually tried to make it work.

http://www.jp.playstation.com/software/ … 0game.html