26 (editado por zyloj 07-05-2011 17:27:44)

Re: Spanish Games

Recap escribió:

I always liked this piece too:

This one was made by Juan Giménez, the last one important drawer we could name about this years.ç

By the way, I think the only way to play Gunstick games without the real hardware is with the emulator Aspectrum. [>]

I knew you'd come, just didn't know how long it'd take.

Narco Police being made in Uruguay explains why it had so little to do with Dinamic's style.

Bad sequel. The first one was a clon of Gunsmoke. I suppose Topo got some agreement with Capcom to avoid legal problems, because the game was published in England with official support of Capcom and with the title Gunsmoke. It's curious, but there are more copies of Capcom arcades, like Metropolis/Trojan [>] or Satan/Black tiger

There're many more examples of Japanese arcade games being plagiarized by Spanish authors, actually, just maybe not as evident as those. It was the the best thing one could have as reference as a video-game creator, after all. I'm quite sure the Desperado into Gun Smoke thing was not Topo's doing, but the English publisher's. Perhaps Topo thought at some point in getting Capcom's license, but this type of agreements was always far beyond the reach of a small company like the Spanish ones. As you said, they're were locally-focused.

zyloj escribió:

Alfonso Azpiri was the most prolific artist in covers of Spanish games during the 80's. He worked for Dinamic, Topo, Opera and even any other small developer. In 2009 he released a book with all the works he did for this platforms. It's called 'Spectrum'. I organized an exposition [>] with some of his best works that visited several cities in Spain during 2009-2010.

Wow, cool expo. Also I never realized Azpiri released that book, anywhere you know that I could order it online?

Recap escribió:

Narco Police being made in Uruguay explains why it had so little to do with Dinamic's style.

I think Dinamic's style died in 1988. Since that year, almost all 8 bits games were programmed by external teams: Iron byte, Zeus software, Creep soft... I suppose they focused internal staff in 16 bits programming, but only to make the same games, nothing exclusive for big machines.

Recap escribió:

There're many more examples of Japanese arcade games being plagiarized by Spanish authors, actually, just maybe not as evident as those.

There are some more examples, like Emilio Butragueño/Tehkan world cup [>]. I suppose they took ideas about their favourites arcades. But they made straight conversions about the most succesful arcades in Spain to earn fast money, like this one.

Recap escribió:

I'm quite sure the Desperado into Gun Smoke thing was not Topo's doing, but the English publisher's. Perhaps Topo thought at some point in getting Capcom's license, but this type of agreements was always far beyond the reach of a small company like the Spanish ones. As you said, they're were locally-focused.

Topo was a company created by Erbe software, the most important distributor for the foreign videogames in Spain. They had agreements with U.S. Gold, who made the official conversions of Capcom games for European computers. I think they offered Topo games to release them in UK. U.S. Gold through Go! brand would take the rights to Capcom easily. This game was sold as a full price game, but the rest of the Topo production was sold in budget series like Kixx.

Macaw escribió:

Wow, cool expo. Also I never realized Azpiri released that book, anywhere you know that I could order it online?

Here are two shops:

[fnac]
[planeta comic]

I don't know if they send orders out of Spain.

So you mean that Desperado was indeed conceived as an official port of Gun Smoke and not just a rip-off like Satan and whatnot? What would be the reason they didn't use the original name then?

Does anyone from Spain here have much to say about Gaelco? I know their racing stuff was their biggest hit, even some arcades locally here in Australia still have them, but the 2d action stuff seems like it was more domestic, how were the reactions to such titles there?

I think Big Karnak and Alligator Hunt are great, but I'm most interested in TH Strikes back which looks great and is still unemulated, and I cant seem to come across a pcb of it to buy. If only the promo video of the game was still on youtube, I wonder if its still on any Spanish sites?

Most had a moderate distribution even here, actually. Their best titles came in the years the fighting genre was almost the only thing the people cared of, so they weren't particularly succesful besides World Rally, I think.

Recap escribió:

So you mean that Desperado was indeed conceived as an official port of Gun Smoke and not just a rip-off like Satan and whatnot? What would be the reason they didn't use the original name then?

No. It's a rip-off, of course. My explanation wasn't enough clear in English about the comercialization of Desperado in England. I think it was just a chance to be published like an official port. For example, Satan seems it had some problems [>]. Although, at the end, it was published in UK surprisingly with good reviews. Due to a good balance of difficulty for Dinamic standards...?

A video about the graphical works of Julio Martin Erro, freelance worker with his brother for several spanish 8-bit videogame companies, there's some unpublished material. I think that's interesting to post here (Text on spanish, sorry):

http://www.fasebonus.net/index.php?opti … id=36:2011

Via www.fasebonus.net/