Tema: Self-adjusting difficulty.

From the staff subforum:

zinger escribió:

Did any of Capcom's rank systems (or that of any company, for that matter) ever work for you? I'm still not sure what I think about rank myself.

The reason I despise all self-adjusting difficulty systems is quite obvious in my eyes, but maybe it's convenient to explain it all -- they overcomplicate the mechanics in already difficult-enough games. They force you to play unnaturally so you can control the rank, and make you find out and learn the triggers for ranking-up. For non superplay fans who only play under the 1 credit rule, this is not only unnecessary, it's too demanding and therefore annoying. And we just don't need different patterns and layouts depending on our performance -- learning one of them is already a hard task enough.

Konami was especially arrogant with this feature and most likely the model for the rest, which just couldn't tolerate their arcade games becoming "too easy" either.

At least we had Treasure.

Re: Self-adjusting difficulty.

I don't find any of this a problem at all, unless you find the extreme examples making the games simply less fun to play (garrega for instance)

I just leave everything on the default settings.

Vs fighters I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in playing single player (and most arcade fans would feel the same), so the messed up default difficulties of those I don't care about.

Macaw escribió:

I don't find any of this a problem at all, unless you find the extreme examples making the games simply less fun to play (garrega for instance)

But you indeed watch superplays and credit-feed to learn the games, don't you? I'm sure the perspective is quite different, in that case.

I just leave everything on the default settings.

Vs fighters I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in playing single player (and most arcade fans would feel the same)

That's something, coming from you, I just cannot believe. 'Cause I can't believe you have no interest at all in meeting, fighting and beating, say, the boss in Shin Samu-Supi. Playing against humans on versus games is another dimension altogether, but it doesn't mean playing against the CPU on a game like that isn't utterly fun. Again, not continuing ever does help, though.

I only watch superplays when I feel like it for fun, and I only credit feed when I feel like it if I want to see all the bosses and shit in a game. If I do credit feed though, in subsequent plays I would only really play with 1 credit otherwise shit is just too boring.

And I also have no interest in a single unique boss at the end of a vs fighter, even if they are awesome like in Asura Buster or the Marvel games. The game is still gonna be 90% just versing computers of characters you can select anyway.

The only VS fighting games that are fulfilling to play in single player are the vs boss stuff like Dadandarn, Oni and Warzard