Tema: Proper acknowledgement

Hey man, I have decided to start copying your style of news reporting for the benefit of those visiting my forum. Now since it is easier for me to let you do all the digging about upcoming 2D releases and just more or less copy-paste them for the benefit of my English-speaking readers, I would like to ask you what sort of acknowledgement would you like for your work? Do you want me to link you in every thread I steal from you?

I would be prepared to do that, if you insist on it.

The other thing I was thinking of doing is stickiying a thread at the top of the 'games' forum which would contain links to all my sources: Game Watch, Famitsu, Ariesu no Kobayan, etc., and of course this place...

Re: Proper acknowledgement

It's up to you. My "news" get stolen once and again even by mainstream sites I dislike and internet people who dislike me, so whatever you do, it'll be alright. (Just make sure of not adding extra mistakes in the process - the title of Success' new DS game is "Itsuwari no Ronde", not "Itsuwari no Rondo").

3 (editado por icycalm 05-08-2007 23:22:10)

Ok, well, one way or another I'll make sure that those visiting my forum know that I regularly use your site as a news source.

As for Itsuwari, is "Rondo" a mistake? That's what it says in katakana in the official page...

Has Success written the title as "Itsuwari no Ronde" anywhere on the official site?

Ok, well, one way or another I'll make sure that those visiting my forum know that I regularly use your site as a news source.

What I tried to say is that you don't need to and there is no prob if you don't.

Rondo/ronde - the kana says "rondo" because that's how the Japanese read "ronde", which is French. I thought you had really read that "shit that makes me LOL" thread at Gamengai. Anyhow, you have the very same case of "Senko no Ronde" here, so it should be familiar.

Actually, yeah, I didn't read that whole thread -- only a couple of posts.

And I agree that G.rev's game should be referred to as Senko no Ronde in English, because that's how G.rev themselves decided to transliterate it. But until I see Success calling their game Itsuwari no Ronde, I don't see why I shouldn't just follow the katakana reading as normal.

If you have some strong objection to this would you please mind briefly explaining it to me? Or would I find your explanation by going back and checking that gamengai thread?

And I agree that G.rev's game should be referred to as Senko no Ronde in English, because that's how G.rev themselves decided to transliterate it. But until I see Success calling their game Itsuwari no Ronde, I don't see why I shouldn't just follow the katakana reading as normal.

Because _I_ didn't follow it is not a good enough reason? ... OK, I'll go. Grev's game shouldn't be referred to as "Senko no Ronde" "because that's how Grev themselves decided to transliterate it", Grev's game title should have the word "Ronde" because that's indeed _the only_ way to "transliterate" it, much like, say, "Dynamite Deka" is the only way to romanize the name of this Sega's arcade game, for instance.

In order to be really accurate, we're not "transliterating" from Japanese to roman alphabet, it's Grev the ones who translitered the word from French to Japanese. They just used an odd way to do it (not so odd these days, actually, especially in these media) - by using kanji instead of katakana (yeah, even if that kanji originally isn't read "rondo" at all, but the nature of the Japanese language allows this kind of licences; you "can" invent any kanji's pronounciation to some extent). So we're just taking the original word in its original alphabet, much like when we write "Dynamite" for "Dynamite Deka".

Such is exactly the case of "Itsuware no Ronde". It's true; we haven't seen it in official documents yet, but we once again have two hints thanks to the furigana for "rinbukyoku" (the kanji used for that part of the title). Firstly, it's in katakana and it is not a possible (orthodox) reading for that kanji, so we only can have here another of those puns with foreing words the Japanese love. The two only (reasonable) possibilities for that katakana form are either, the Italian "rondo" and the French "ronde" (we could even consider the Spanish "rondo" (= "bull ring") or even the English "ronde" (= "script with a round look for its characters"), but, as I said, let's just take the reasonable options). These "puns" happen to involve indeed playing with semantics; the kanji's meaning usually has a similar meaning to the foreign word. That leaves only one choice here if you care to translate; "rinbukyoku" means "dance in circles", which is exactly what a "ronde" is, unlike an Italian "rondo".

Fair enough, that sounds quite reasonable. I would normally have gone back to gamengai now to check twe's response to this, but he deleted it!

After checking some of your news posts at Insomnia, I'm finding out that you mention "Ruliweb" as source for the scans. Most likely you already know it and it's just the way you like to do it, but let me say that Ruliweb is never the original source. All of their mag scans are stolen from 2 Channel. I link Ruliweb only because it re-uploads the scans to its own hosting service and I can always be sure they won't be down anytime soon (aside of being easier to find), but believe me -- I hate it. They (its posters) rarely mention the original source, much like Jeux-France, Go Nintendo or many others. But hey, at least Western visitors of Ruliweb can't make any money for these bastards.

Worth mentioning too (though I hardly believe this thread is being read by anybody else) that it indeed was "Itsuwari no Rondo". !!

I kinda figured that out on SB but I didn't want to say anything in front of those morons. I was going to email you about it to ask for clarification, so it's good you mentioned it.

Recap escribió:

After checking some of your news posts at Insomnia, I'm finding out that you mention "Ruliweb" as source for the scans. Most likely you already know it and it's just the way you like to do it, but let me say that Ruliweb is never the original source. All of their mag scans are stolen from 2 Channel. I link Ruliweb only because it re-uploads the scans to its own hosting service and I can always be sure they won't be down anytime soon (aside of being easier to find), but believe me -- I hate it. They (its posters) rarely mention the original source, much like Jeux-France, Go Nintendo or many others. But hey, at least Western visitors of Ruliweb can't make any money for these bastards.

I had no idea. Sometimes I saw them quote 2ch as the source, but I just figured they had someone buy the latest magazines and just scanned them. I'll stop linking to them and when I have some time I'll go back and delete all the old links.

icycalm escribió:

I kinda figured that out on SB but I didn't want to say anything in front of those morons. I was going to email you about it to ask for clarification, so it's good you mentioned it.

Oh, forgive me. I thought I was quite clear in my last post there regarding this subject. Hence my "though I hardly believe this thread is being read by anybody else" line.

11 (editado por Recap 16-12-2007 20:49:38)

In order to lead this on-topic again, check this:

http://www.gamercafe.cl/?p=5390

No "acknowledgement" there, though he clearly used this forum as his source for that (notice this time I didn't mention the Japanese source I used, so he doesn't have it either). The funny fact here is that he supposedly likes this site and is an active member here and whatnot. And he does it once and again, I've learned! Is there a worthy news only Recap has found and posted on his obscure forum? Let's steal it and be the "original source" for all the idiots who haven't realize yet what's Postback's forum.

That's why I asked you not to link stuff like Neo Arcadia's on IC's frontpage. That site's popularity is all thanks to their dirty methodology and the people's ignorance/idiocy.

Time to revise Postback's link page, I guess.

Edit -- Ditto:

http://guardcrush.net/majoria/

http://www.arcade-renaissance.com/2007/ … cades.html

: )

Recap escribió:

That's why I asked you not to link stuff like Neo Arcadia's on IC's frontpage. That site's popularity is all thanks to their dirty methodology and the people's ignorance/idiocy.

Time to revise Postback's link page, I guess.

Edit -- Ditto:

http://guardcrush.net/majoria/

http://www.arcade-renaissance.com/2007/ … cades.html

: )

I'll be honest.  I probably don't do as much link back checking as I probably should on my original sources.  If the site I link to ends up giving credit elsewhere, I'll post both sources.  If not, I just cite them as where I find the information.  I'll try to be a bit more conscious about it in the future.  I'll also be sure to fix the link on my blog to go to the Postback forums in the above post (from Arcade Renaissance). 

I've seen your information cited a couple of times before, but I really haven't spent that much time on your site previously.  It is a great treasure trove of information though - so kudos to you.

Thanks for the linking. It's not that I need any acknowledgement or more popularity for my site at all, actually (after all, I could have been linking this forum as source for every news I've posted on IC -- and I've been doing it for more than 3 years now), it's more like that some places (way too many, indeed) just don't deserve even a mention.

I do agree with what you are saying. But even though you may despise Neo-Arcadia's underhanded way of doing things, there is a flip side to this coin.

Neo-Arcadia is the best French-speaking source of arcade news on the net. Is this true or is it not? Are they providing a service to those who don't speak Japanese and who don't have the balls to try navigating Japanese websites? Any way you look at it, Neo-Arcadia is providing a service. So at least SOME of their traffic is deserved. It's just too bad that they are not being honest about how they work.

And you know what, I bet that if they were being honest they would have had even MORE traffic. They are just too stupid and too small-minded to see this.

15 (editado por Recap 05-01-2008 02:19:09)

icycalm escribió:

Neo-Arcadia is the best French-speaking source of arcade news on the net. Is this true or is it not?

I hope it isn't! ...

Are they providing a service to those who don't speak Japanese and who don't have the balls to try navigating Japanese websites? Any way you look at it, Neo-Arcadia is providing a service. So at least SOME of their traffic is deserved.

I disagree there. It's a bad "service" at it -- they hide info/sources and sometimes they're even wrong/misleading. It's not different to that discussion about giving thanks to HG101 for talking about obscure Japanese games for English-versed people despite doing it with so many mistakes, misconceptions and lack of actual interest. I, of course, will not.

Anyhow, if they _steal_ news, they don't deserve ANY _linking_. That's my point.

And you know what, I bet that if they were being honest they would have had even MORE traffic. They are just too stupid and too small-minded to see this.

If they were, they'd need to repeatedly mention too many non-Japanese sites where the info is explained much better and directly from the Japanese sources, hence, they could see themselves missing their own readers and reputation. It's the same issue Hayama has with his Gamer Cafe.

16 (editado por icycalm 05-01-2008 13:10:27)

Recap escribió:

If they were, they'd need to repeatedly mention too many non-Japanese sites where the info is explained much better and directly from the Japanese sources, hence, they could see themselves missing their own readers and reputation. It's the same issue Hayama has with his Gamer Cafe.

This is true for those of their readers who are comfortable with English. Most of them are not, however. The French- or Spanish-speaking people who are comfortable with English are already reading those other sites you mention.

For people who are only comfortable with their native language, however, sites like Neo-Arcadia are providing a valuable service. They could be doing a better job, but what can you do. At least they are not charging anyone for their poor service.

(And please don't tell me that all young Spanish and French people these days are comfortable with English. It is astounding the degree to which this is not true.)

17 (editado por Recap 10-01-2008 13:50:18)

Well, I'm quite sure the standard Spanish or French fella interested in arcade/traditional games these days is more or less "comfortable" with written English. I really believe their issue here is the difficulty (or the lack of interest) to find actual sources. You just need to check Ryan DG's reply for an example.

I once posted on the Shmup forum for a bit (the French one) and I saw loads of people there who couldn't put together a single half-decent sentence in English. Those people, even if they ARE aware of the better English arcade resource websites, still want to have a frontpage that talks about these games in their own language, even if it does so poorly.

I mean it's only natural. It's why people like Gaijin Punch and Tim Rogers still check English websites, even though they can get a lot of the same information much quicker (and oftentimes more reliably) from the original source.

But yeah. RyanDG is just lazy, and so are many Western bloggers. But at least he is not deceitful.

But at least he is not deceitful.

Yeah. Never meant that.

icycalm escribió:

But yeah. RyanDG is just lazy

Yeah.  Just a little bit.  Though I would like to make up an elaborate excuse about how it's because of my extremely busy "real life", I know that everyone is in the same position that I am in and it is simply an excuse for me not doing more background checks on other sites' sources when its not clear what the original source was.  It is something that I'm going to try to work on a bit more (even though, in a lot of cases my Japanese language skills are pretty rough around the edges) - because above all else, it is just basic common courtesy to give the appropriate credit where credit is due.

By the way icy - I enjoyed your review on Guilty Gear II Overture plus the Overview you posted today.  I've been considering importing Guilty Gear II Overture but haven't gotten around to doing so yet.  You've piqued my interest enough though that I think I'm going to finally do it...

It is a very surprising game. Very interesting indeed. Whether you end up enjoying it or not is another matter...